DIRECTIONS: Take one capsule twice daily, or as directed by your healthcare
Consult your healthcare practitioner prior to use. Individuals taking medication should discuss potential interactions with their healthcare practitioner. Do not use if tamper seal is damaged.
Liver Support contains the amino acid N-acetyl-L-cysteine, a key
component of glutathione—a tripeptide that plays a significant role in
detoxification and antioxidant support. Liver Support also contains a
combination of alpha-lipoic acid, silymarin from milk thistle, and selenium
for support of antioxidant activity, regeneration of other antioxidants, and
promotion of healthy immune function.*
STORAGE: Keep closed in a cool, dry place out of reach of children.
DOES NOT CONTAIN: Wheat, gluten, yeast, soy, animal or dairy products, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, ingredients derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs), artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, or artificial preservatives.
The liver is the body’s major metabolic organ. It processes, packages, stores, and ships out carbohydrates, fats, proteins, and micronutrients. It is responsible for the breakdown and elimination of alcohol, toxins, hormones, and medications, as well as for the synthesis of vital proteins, such as albumin, prealbumin, and clotting factors. It may be stated that the health of the body depends on the health of the liver. Research suggests that providing targeted nutrition supplementation may help support liver function and health.*
N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC) An acetylated derivative of the sulfur-containing amino acid L-cysteine, NAC promotes the synthesis of glutathione—a tripeptide that is active in detoxification and antioxidant systems. Glutathione also supports a healthy defense against hepatotoxic environmental pollutants, gamma-radiation, and other potential toxins.*[1,2]
Alpha-Lipoic Acid Sometimes referred to as thioctic acid, alpha-lipoic acid is both water- and fat-soluble. It supports glutathione, helps regenerate antioxidant vitamins C and E, helps maintain the ratio of reduced to oxidized CoQ10 in the mitochondria, and helps support healthy levels of nitric oxide in the liver and kidney.  The redox couple of lipoic acid and dihydrolipoic stabilizes NF-kappaB transcription and may help support healthy immune functions in the body.*[4,5]
Milk Thistle Seed Extract Silymarin, the active component in milk thistle, has a history of use in promoting liver health. It supports antioxidant activity, neutralizes toxins, and also may protect hepatocytes’ genetic material. Like alpha-lipoic acid, silymarin supports production of cellular glutathione. Its actions in the liver include maintaining normal levels of fat peroxidation and fibrous tissue formation; supporting a healthy immune response and the natural response to inflammation; and promoting protein synthesis and normal regeneration of liver tissue. A randomized placebo-controlled study of 103 individuals suggested that silymarin yielded statistically positive results and was well tolerated.*
Selenium (as selenomethionine) An important coenzyme for the glutathione peroxidase detoxification system, selenium also appears to support the endogenous antioxidant defenses of hepatocytes by upregulating their manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) expression. At the same time, selenium appears to support healthy cytokine balance by affecting interleukin-6 (IL-6) transcription in Kupffer cells (liver-based macrophages). Kupffer cells play a crucial role in maintaining normal structure and function in the liver. Supporting their function and the body’s normal inflammatory response in turn supports liver health overall.*
Upon studying targeted nutrition support for liver health, physician and researcher Dr. Burton M. Berkson chose to combine alpha-lipoic acid, silymarin, and selenium to obtain a balanced and low-cost approach to liver support. These three ingredients plus NAC are all present in Liver Support to support liver health, antioxidant activity, and the body’s natural immune defenses.*
Take one capsule twice daily, or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
Children and pregnant or lactating women should consult their healthcare practitioner prior to use. Do not use if tamper seal is damaged.
Does Not Contain
Wheat, gluten, yeast, soy, animal or dairy products, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, ingredients derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs), artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, or preservatives.
1. Krinsky DL, LaValle JB, Hawkins EB, et al. Natural Therapeutics Pocket Guide. 2nd ed. Hudson (OH): Lexi-Comp; 2003.
2. Hu C, Jiang L, Geng C, et al. Possible involvement of oxidative stress in trichloroethylene-induced genotoxicity in human HepG2 cells. Mutat Res. 2008 Jan 18. [PMID: 18289923]
3. Abdel-Zaher AO, Abdel-Hady RH, Mahmoud MM, et al. The potential protective role of alpha-lipoic acid against acetaminophen-induced hepatic and renal damage. Toxicology. 2008 Jan 20;243(3):261-70. [PMID: 18068886]
4. Suzuki YJ, Aggarwal BB, Packer L. Alpha-lipoic acid is a potent inhibitor of NF-kappa B activation in human T cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1992 Dec 30;189(3):1709-15. [PMID: 1482376]
5. Baur A, Harrer T, Peukert M, et al. Alpha-lipoic acid is an effective inhibitor of human immuno-deficiency virus (HIV-1) replication. Klin Wochenschr. 1991 Oct 2;69(15):722-4. [PMID: 1724477]
6. Pradhan SC, Girish C. Hepatoprotective herbal drug, silymarin from experimental pharmacology to clinical medicine. Indian J Med Res. 2006 Nov;124(5):491-504. [PMID: 17213517]
7. El-Kamary SS, Shardell MD, Abdel-Hamid M, et al. A randomized controlled trial to assess the safety and efficacy of silymarin on symptoms, signs and biomarkers of acute hepatitis. Phytomedicine. 2009 May;16(5):391-400. [PMID: 19303273]
8. Shilo S, Pardo M, Aharoni-Simon M, et al. Selenium supplementation increases liver MnSOD expression: molecular mechanism for hepato-protection. J Inorg Biochem. 2008 Jan;102(1):110-8. [PMID: 17804075]
9. Roberts RA, Ganey PE, Ju C, et al. Role of the Kupffer cell in mediating hepatic toxicity and carcinogenesis. Toxicol Sci. 2007 Mar;96(1):2-15. Review. [PMID: 17122412]
10. Berkson BM. A conservative triple antioxidant approach to the treatment of hepatitis C. Combination of alpha lipoic acid (thioctic acid), silymarin, and selenium: three case histories. Med Klin (Munich). 1999 Oct 15;94 Suppl 3:84-9. [PMID: 10554539]
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.